Role of the Employee Relations (ER) division
The Employee Relations (ER) division aims to support the University’s strategy and transformation plan by promoting a sound relationship between management, employees and employee interest groups/Union. In addition, the division aims to facilitate effective and meaningful negotiations between management and employee representatives.
- Maintain good relations between the employer and employee: Provide guidance to management and staff on labour disputes, monitor trends in employment practices and advise on proactive action, conduct surveys and exit interviews to identify challenges and present solutions. In addition, review policies and develop procedures to ensure compliance with good labour practices.
- Resolving employee complaints: Investigate and resolve employees’ complaints and provide guidance to management and staff on disputes/ grievances.
- Discipline of staff members: Conduct disciplinary investigations relating to misconduct and advise management and staff on disciplinary cases by ensuring that the correct disciplinary procedures are followed.
- Dispute resolution: Act as management representative at discussions with Unions, meet and assist with negotiations with Unions on salaries, conditions of service and labour disputes. Advise and develop proper procedures for negotiation and industrial action. Ensure the implementation of the Recognition Agreement and ensure compliance with the Labour Act.
- Employment Equity: Ensure compliance with the Affirmative Action Act, compile annual Affirmative Action reports and supervise the implementation of Affirmative Action at the NUST.